Geochemistry Technician, Barcelona, Spain
The Department of Earth and Ocean Dynamics from the University of Barcelona is seeking a highly motivated geochemist to assist in the sample processing and instrumental analysis of radiogenic isotopes and trace element geochemistry. The successful candidate needs to be qualified to oversee and perform daily operations and maintenance tasks for a new MC-ICPMS and clean laboratory facilities.
The successful applicant must have a degree (ideally a PhD) in geology, chemistry, marine or environmental sciences, oceanography or related fields. Ideally, the candidate is expected to have experience with operating and maintaining a MC-ICPMS instrument as well as general experience of working in clean lab environments, including column chemistry, acid digestions, isotope dilution, etc.
The work will be developed under the supervision of Dr. Isabel Cacho and Dr. Leopoldo Pena from the GRC Marine Geosciences, Deptartment of Earth and Ocean Dynamics, Faculty of Earth Sciences (University of Barcelona).
This is a full-time grant paid position. The initial appointment will be three years, with the possibility of extension. There will be a six-month probationary period. Review of applications will begin in May 2017, and will continue until the position is filled.
Multi Collector Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometer (70% of time)
- Daily operations and analyses, instrument maintenance and optimization of methods for MC-ICPMS
- Method development for different isotopic families such as Nd, Sr and Pb
- Supervision and training of new students, visitors, etc.
- Instrument performance monitoring
- Inventory and preparation of formal reports on a weekly basis.
Geochemistry procedures in a Clean Laboratory (30% of time)
- Sample preparation of geological materials, sea waters or other materials
- Column chemistry procedures for elemental separations
- Laboratory maintenance and blank monitoring
- Inventory, purchasing consumables, general laboratory maintenance and monitoring.
The successful applicant will work as a member of a team and support undergraduate and graduate students, post-docs and visiting researchers. The technician will also interact with technical support staff for the MC-ICPMS if necessary.
- Minimum BSc in geology, chemistry, marine or environmental sciences, or related fields.
- Experience with independently operating and maintaining an ICP-MS and/or MC-ICPMS.
- Capable of safety, carefully, efficiently and independently working in clean geochemical laboratories with corrosive chemicals.
- Motivated to multi-task, optimize methodologies, adopt new methodologies, work with others, meet deadlines, help students.
- Interested in collaborating and publishing with our dynamic research group.
- Experience in MC-ICPMS data reduction and correction. Computer skills, including scripting and/or programming will also be considered.
Payment, according to personal experience, up to the post-doc scale of the University of Barcelona, includes social security and benefits according to the Spanish laws.
Deadline for applications is 5 May 2017.